This essay Study Guide for Cold War Exam has a total of 2947 words and 16 pages.
CK History 8 and CK History 8 Honors - Study Guide for Cold War Exam
Use your Outline of the Cold War, your History Notebook, your textbooks and any other resources available to answer the following questions.)
A. Identify the questions that you do not yet know and make Flash Cards for each.
B. The questions are roughly organized by presidential administrations. You might consider learning all the answers for each president and then move on to the next.
1. During the early years of the Cold War, America’s policy was to resist the spread of communism. What is the term that describes this policy? Containment
2. What geographic part of Europe came under the control/influence of the communist Soviet Union during and after World War II? East Europe
3. What event signaled the beginning of the Korean War? S. Korea invaded by N. Korea
4. What is the name of the competitive buildup of weapons by the Soviet Union and the United States during the Cold War? Nuclear Arms Race
5. How did Western leaders respond after the Soviets blocked off West Berlin in June of 1948? Airlifted Supplies
6. What German city was isolated by the Soviet Union after World War II until American bombers airlifted supplies into this “free” area? East Berlin
7. What nation on the Korean Peninsula has been an ally of the West since the middle of the twentieth century? South Korea
8. What large communist nation bordering North Korea provided hundreds of thousands of troops to help the North Koreans as they battled UN forces in the early 1950’s? China
9. In September of 1950, what communist nation controlled almost all of the Korean Peninsula? North Korea
10. What is the name of the military alliance of the Soviet Union and its satellite nations during the Cold War? Warsaw Pact
11. What is the name of the military alliance that the United States joined after World War II? NATO
12. A massive $13 billion program of economic aid to rebuild Western Europe after World War II was known as what? Marshall Plan
13. A meeting of the leaders of the “free” world in 1944 resulted in a decision to bring economic order to currencies and trade among nations. What is the name of this meeting that created the International Monetary Fund, which is currently part of the World Bank? ?????
14. General Douglas MacArthur was prepared to use dozens of atom bombs during the Korean War. He also spoke out openly against his commander, who favored a less aggressive approach. Who fired MacArthur over this disagreement and MacArthur’s public comments about it? President Eisenhower
15. What image was used by Winston Churchill to describe the sharp division of Europe following World War II? Iron Curtain
16. To stop the spread of communism into Turkey and Greece in the years following World War II, President Harry S. Truman pledged American economic and military aid. In doing so, President Truman said it should be "the policy of the United States to support free peoples who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures." What is the name of this new goal of American foreign policy? Truman Doctrine
17. What term describes Senator Joe McCarthy’s use of unproven charges, often accusations of affiliation with communism, against his political opponents? McCarthyism
18. What is the term, which describes the widespread fear that communists might be trying to take over the US government? Red Scare
19. In the early 1960’s, what was the belief that if one Southeast Asian nation (South Vietnam) fell to communism, other nations of the region would fall to communism, also? Domino Theory
20. Who was Director of the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) during the 1950’s? ?????
21. What social and economic system called for workers of the world to rise up against the owners of industry (the capitalists)? ?????
22. What World War II hero was president of the US throughout much of the 1950’s? President Eisenhower
23. From the late 1800’s, until the 1950’s, what European nation controlled much of Southeast Asia, including Vietnam? France
24. Who was the Vietnamese communist leader that defeated the French in 1954? Ho Chi Min
25. What is the name of the rebel leader that overthrew Cuba’s dictator in 1959? Fidel Castro
26. Ho Chi Minh and his forces fought and finally defeated the French in what 1954 battle? ?????
27. While the United States
Topics Related to Study Guide for Cold War Exam
Soviet UnionUnited States relations, Presidency of Harry S. Truman, Aftermath of World War II, Grand Croix of the Lgion dhonneur, CubaUnited States relations, Cold War, Vietnam War, Containment, Domino theory, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Korean War, Harry S. Truman